Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Light

I have been sitting in the darkness for far too long now and those things have been my problem: sitting and darkness. Sitting is a huge problem, for I have not taken action on some of the things I say I value. I've been staying still -- not good. And in the dark, I can't see what's around me.
I have been in a dreary spot for too long and I'm ready for some changes.

Detour: OK, there have been bright spots in my life, but I do believe my life could have been better if I had taken this journey earlier.

So I have a candle and I can survey my dark house with the light of the candle. I can see the living room, the dining room, the kitchen the basement, the bedrooms, the bathrooms and the closets. I leave to your imagination which room is my favorite, but I hereby declare that the closets are my least favorite space -- very cramped.

If I go outside, will the wind blow out my candle? Perhaps. But I have confidence that if that should happen, someone will help me light it again. I could stay inside, safe [but stifled]. but I do want to journey to freedom, so I must leave this house. Perhaps a lantern is what I need. Or a torch, especially of the British variety. A journey implies leaving the safety of home. And I need a light for my path, a light God will provide in many different ways.

On the journey to freedom,
Chuck

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The elequent simplicity of your words clearly indicates to me that God is at work in your life. It is beautiful and I am grateful, Don

Glen C. Pruitt said...

I remember reading a devotion once about the verse "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." It talked about the light being a candle. Not a lantern or a flashlight that might show you a good distance of the journey before you. No, a candle, one that illuminates only the next step on your journey, a light that flickers and, in doing so, keeps you very close to the Source of All Light. I like that image. Maybe that's why I like candles so much.

(Or it might be something else. I mean, many a gay man has a fondness for candles!)