Thursday, November 15, 2007

Freedom--Part 1

Music: "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." --sung by Janis Joplin, penned by Kris Kristofferson.
I just can't get that song out of my head, even though I don't really agree with the sentiment expressed. I have a lot to lose in my search for freedom, but I see how much I stand to gain by being free instead of being in shackles, being bound by other people's expectations and by my own fear of...dying? abandonment?
"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
These are the most haunting words that Jesus spoke on the cross. Was Jesus really abandoned by God in that hour of great darkness, despair and destruction? I really don't mean to make this post a theological treatise, though some future posts undoubtedly will be; I just need to point out that Jesus was alone on the cross, and that his disciples had abandoned him for their safety. As a follower of Jesus, if I can claim that for myself, I need to be willing to face the same abandonment and death as he experienced. Gulp.
My search for freedom will be greatly assisted by my being open and honest with those around me, while still maintaining healthy boundaries. I seek truth, for "the truth shall set you free." --Jesus of Nazareth.
On the road to Freedom,
Chuck

No comments: