Thursday, November 1, 2007

Courage

For too long I have been like the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz afraid of my own shadow, afraid of what others will think of me, afraid of...
Of course, there's nothing wrong with fear,FDR not withstanding, it does serve a useful, evolutionary purpose. I am not sure I will ever be unafraid, but what I do hope to have (and have had in ways I [and others] often overlook) is COURAGE. Let me remind you that courage is not the absence of fear, but acting, taking action, in spite of fear. Too often, I have taken the easy way out or the path of least resistance. I have found inspiration in places where those I have called friends would see only trouble and heresy and deviancy and well, you get the point. I have new friends now. Those who were truly my friends in the past will continue to be my friends today -- even if we disagree on issues of great importance. But at least they will begin to see what I really believe and who I really am.

MUSICAL INTERLUDE
"Nobody in all of Oz no wizard that there is or was, is ever gonna bring me down." Defying Gravity from the Broadway musical, Wicked

I am pulling off masks and hoping for the best.

I am questioning my beliefs; and I know such questioning causes problems for some. I cannot help asking the questions and I get the most help by putting them out there instead of seekng all alone.

Still on the journey to Freedom -- for myself, for all God's children.

Chuck

No comments: