Thursday, November 29, 2007

Breaking Free of One or Two of My Chains

I have trouble accepting compliments because I struggle with self-acceptance and self-esteem. Outwardly, I simply say "thank you" when someone tells me I've done a good job, but inwardly I think to myself, "They're easily impressed," or, more often, "but if they knew the real me, they'd never have anything to do with me again."
Over the past couple of years, I've begun to really let those compliments in and understand in a real way that people do care about me and that they're not all just being polite about it. And I know that so much of the darkness is in my head. My inward journey shows both good and not-so-good within me, which makes me ...normal.
DETOUR: From The Fantastiks: Girl: Please, God, don't let me be normal!
I can now accept that even people who know me well can accept me, like me, and even love me. That is one chain broken, one bit of fog which has lifted. Thanks to my friends who are really my friends.
And thanks be to God; may you find God now.


On the road to freedom,
Chuck

No comments: