Sunday, February 3, 2008

No Static Cling, Please!

Beginning this blog was an admission that my faith cannot remain static. The Jesus I learned about in second grade is not the same Jesus I believe in today. And the Jesus I believe in today will not be the same Jesus I believe in three years from now. Take note: Jesus does not change, but my understanding of him does. Just as my understanding of God changes. The problem I face is a group of people who are clinging to the Jesus they knew as a seven year old! I am not the same person I was in 1964, so why should my faith be the same as it was 44 years ago? It shouldn't. We should all be growing in our faith, daring to go beyond what our Sunday School teachers and parents taught us so many years ago.

I believe in God who loves me just as I am.
I believe in Jesus Christ who invites all who believe in him to have eternal life.
I believe in the Holy Spirit who speaks to me in many ways.
I believe eternal life has to do with how we live our lives in response to God's love, for eternal life is about an abundant life.
I believe in life after death.
I believe in spiritual realities that are beyond what I can see.
I believe God wants all to know God and love God and one another.
I believe that there is that of God in every person.

Right now, I don't believe in hell, except for the hell we encounter right now.
I don't believe in condemning people because their view of God is diferent from mine.
I don't believe in condemning people because they desire to love those of the same gender and do so.

I do believe that this is enough for this post.
On the journey,
Chuck

No comments: