Monday, February 11, 2008

Freedom is Relative

Freedom is relative. In the US, we have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean we are free to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire. We are free to let others know exactly who we are, but there is a price to pay for that freedom and it may mean the loss of our livelihood. So we don't tell everyone everything about ourselves. And that's the way it is. But it can be different. The more open and honest we are about ourselves, the better off we will be. In terms of mental health, that is. And if more people are more open about who they are, our society as a whole will be much better off. I am working towards being more open about who I am; that's one of the aims of this blog. And sharing my thoughts here has indeed been liberating for me and I hope liberating for others as well.
In the struggle to be free,
Chuck

No comments: